Happy New Year from all of us at the BWF office in KL. We would like to wish you a very happy, safe and successful 2021.
Please find below in this memo, important notices, information and reminders on the following:
- BWF EGM – Saturday 30 January 2021 – key dates / information / actions
- BWF Subscription payment for 2021 – deadline 31 January 2021
- New BWF Anti-Doping Regulations – in force – 1 January 2021
- WADA Prohibited Substance List 2021 – in force – 1 January 2021
1.BWF EGM – 30 January 2021
As you are aware, the BWF Council gave Notice of a virtual Extraordinary General Meeting (EGM) to be held on Saturday 30 January 2021 at 1900 KL time / noon CET (see announcement). Please see the BWF website EGM page (linked here) for all the information.
The Order Paper / Agenda is published on the website. The business of the EGM is to consider the following Council proposals related to governance matters – voting strength, format of General Meetings, electronic voting systems and the AGM 2021:
- To ratify the interim procedures the Council used to calculate Voting Strength (2020-2024) due to the Covid-19 impact (Annexure A).
- To approve the amendments to the BWF Constitution related to the framework for virtual meetings (Annexure B).
- To approve the holding of the 2021 AGM in a virtual format on 22 May 2021.
Key Dates / Activities
To prepare for the virtual EGM, the BWF is hosting a number of on-line information sessions. Here below are the key activities and deadlines:
Actions for Members – Delegates Nomination / Register for Webinars
Please complete these 3 things as soon as possible:
- Decide who will be your delegate(s) for the EGM
- Complete the Delegates Nomination Form and send back to Patricia.
- Register for the Webinar (1900 KL time – Monday 18 January) and one of the information sessions (Wednesday 20 to Wednesday 27 January) by going to the link here and competing the online form – it takes 2 minutes.
2. BWF Subscription 2021
Subscriptions for 2021 are due no later than midnight KL time on 31 January 2021.
Please note that for the EGM on 30 January 2021, Members in Good Standing will be all those who have paid the 2020 subscription and who have completed and submitted the 2020 Schedule A.
Regarding 2021 subscriptions, please note that players cannot be entered into competitions after 31 January 2021 if the subscription is not paid by the deadline. Clause 26.6 of the BWF constitution states:
“A subscription shall be payable prior to a Member or its players taking part in competitive events as in Clause 26.1.
“In no circumstances can a Member’s player(s) or a team continue to compete beyond the due date for payment of the subscription, nor can that Member stage a Federation sanctioned tournament”.
Subscription letters and invoices were sent to Members in December 2020. Please contact Chia Lee [email protected] if you need this to be resent.
3. Anti-Doping Reminders – in force from 1 January 2021
On 1 January 2021, the World Anti-Doping Code came into force.
This means that the new BWF Anti-Doping Regulations approved by Council in November 2020, came into force on 1 January 2021 (linked here) – Section 2.3 of the BWF Statutes.
Finally, the WADA Prohibited List and Methods 2021 came into force on 1 January 2021.
The Prohibited List details the substances and methods which are prohibited for any athlete. Please note that athletes are responsible for everything they eat, drink and take. Please see the BWF website (linked here) for more information.
Please forward this information to your players, coaches and team managers.
Links to important anti-doping information on the BWF website:
- Anti-doping Overview – basic questions and answers (linked here)
- The Dangers / Consequences of Doping (linked here)
- Prohibited Substances (linked here)
- Therapeutic Use Exemptions (TUE) – athletes who need medications that contain Prohibited Substances (linked here)
The Doping Control Process – collecting a urine or blood sample (linked here)