The Gender Commission supports participation of women and men in badminton at all levels of the sport – on and off the ‘field of play’. The Commission provides advice to the Council on policy development.
Over the last eight years the BWF has focused on initiatives for “women in badminton” which has led to a greater awareness of the need to provide opportunities for women at all levels of badminton. However, a broader focus on “gender equity” helps BWF better integrate concrete actions into everything BWF does.
IOC Gender Equality Review Project
In February 2018, the IOC launched a Gender Equality Review Project that aims to strengthen gender equity across the entire Olympic Movement (linked here). BWF as an IF on the Summer Olympic Sport Programme and a member of the International Paralympic Committee is committed to implementing concrete actions around gender equity.
Representation on Council
In December 2011, the BWF Council endorsed the goal of achieving an increasing percent of women’s representation on the BWF Council. Women currently on the BWF Council are:
– Khunying Patama Leeswadtrakul (THA) – Deputy President / IOC Member / Deputy Chair – Gender Equity Commission
– Geraldine Brown (AUS) – Vice President Oceania, Chair – Gender Equity Commission
– Nora Perry (ENG) – Council Member – Chair – Awards Commission
– Tang Ju Hong (CHN) – Deputy Chair – Events Committee
– Chipo Zumburani (ZIM)- Deputy Chair – Finance Committee
– Emma Mason (SCO) – Deputy Chair – Administration Committee
Geraldine Brown [email protected]