In short, Inside Information is any non-public information relating to badminton which you are aware of due to your involvement in the competition or tournament – as a player, coach, technical official, tournament organiser.
Inside Information usually refers to information about players – about their fitness and how ready they are for the competition. So this could be about if they have come back from injury, had a tough match the day before where they got a minor injury and so on.
Inside Information includes information on the likely participation or likely performance of a player in a match / competition / tournament or concerning any other aspect of a competition which is known to a Covered Person (Players, Related Person or Tournament Support Personnel) but is not known by the general public.
Take Care with Sharing Information
Everyone involved in a tournament must be careful not to share Inside Information with other players, friends, family or on social media that relates to the participation or likely performance of a player in the competition.
It is an offence to share Inside Information where that information is then used in a corrupt way – for example for betting purposes.
Depending on your role in the competition / tournament, you may have access to different types of Inside Information – for example players, coaches, technical officials, administrators and organisers of tournaments will have access to different types of Inside Information – information that is not in the public domain.
Having Inside Information is inevitable as part of every role in a competition or tournament and does not breach the Regulations in itself.
No Covered Person shall directly or indirectly:
- use inside information to bet on badminton.
- provide any other person with inside information for the purposes of betting irrespective of whether the bet is actually placed or not.
- solicit or accept any money, benefit or anything of value, to get Inside Information.
- offer or provide any money, benefit or anything of value to any other Covered Person to get any Inside Information.
- offer or provide any money, benefit or anything of value to any Tournament Support Personnel in exchange for any information or benefit relating to a tournament.
It is how you treat or use inside information that is important.