Forum & AGM
BWF plans to host the 2021 BWF Annual General Meeting on Saturday 22 May 2021 in Suzhou, China, in conjunction with the TOTAL BWF Sudirman Cup, 23 – 30 May 2021. It is planned to have the Members’ Forum being held on Friday 21 May 2021. BWF will however continue to monitor the global Covid-19 situation and the ability for AGM delegates to travel to Suzhou to attend the AGM.
As per Clause 15.1 of the Constitution, the BWF advises that the exact closing date for proposals and nominations for elections, and the seconding of these nominations, is midnight KL time on Friday 19 February 2021.
- Friday 30 October 2020 – Notice – deadline for proposals / nominations
- 31 January 2021 – BWF subscription due
- Friday 19 February 2021 – midnight KL time – deadline for proposals / nominations for Council elections
- February / March 2021 – vetting process for candidates for elections
- Friday 2 April 2021 – Notice of the AGM – agenda, annual reports, papers, profiles of candidates for election (7 weeks out)
- Friday 16 April 2021 – deadline for amendments to proposals (5 weeks out)
- Friday 21 May 2021 – Members’ Forum 2021
- Saturday 22 May 2021 – BWF AGM and elections
Elections for the following positions on Council will be held at the AGM 2021:
- Deputy President
- Vice President Para Badminton
- Ordinary Council member (20 positions)
Members in Good Standing can nominate / second candidates for election. For each nomination, a Member must submit Forms A, B and C (see below) – together with a Seconding Letter from a different Member Association. All these document must reach the BWF no later than midnight on 19 February 2021.
Vetting of Candidates for Election
Appendix II of the BWF constitution – Vetting of Officials – will be initiated for the first time. Under Appendix II of the BWF Constitution, there will be a vetting process undertaken in order to determine a candidates eligibility, against the criteria in Clauses 2.4.1 to 2.4.8 of Appendix II.
- The vetting process involves an external company conducting checks related to the criteria in Clauses 2.4.1 to 2.4.8.
- The vetting company will provide a report to the Vetting Panel. This Panel has three independent and external experts.
- The Vetting Panel will consider all information as private and confidential. However, the candidate’s name, nationality and languages, together with the answers to sections a. to e. of this Form B, will be shared with the BWF membership as part of the elections process.
- This Panel uses Form B – Candidates Profile, the report from the external company and the criteria in Appendix II (Clauses 2.4.1 to 2.4.8) to determine a candidates’ eligibility as a candidate for election to the BWF Council.
- The role of the Vetting Panel is to declare candidates eligible or ineligible.
If the Vetting Panel declares a candidate ineligible, that person has a right of appeal.
Downloads (see above download section)
- Notice – deadline for proposals / nominations for elections
- Form A – Nomination Form
- Form B – Candidate’s Profile
- Form C – Candidate’s Declaration (available in late January 2021)
BWF Virtual AGM 2020
The BWF held its virtual AGM 2020 on Saturday 18 July at 1900 (7:00PM). BWF very much appreciated that some delegates had to stay up very late Saturday night and others got up very early to participate in the AGM – at the start of the meeting it was midnight Saturday night for some Members, 0500 (5:00AM) Saturday morning for others and there delegates in every time zone in between. The meeting lasted two hours and 24 minutes.
All 13 proposals on the AGM Agenda (linked here) were approved.
You can download these documents from the download section above.
- Memo – Minutes – Attendance – Survey
- Survey – what delegates thought of the virtual AGM
- Membership Engagement – preparing for the virtual AGM
- Memo – AGM Decisions / Ethics Regulations
- Voting Record – 13 Proposals
- Voting Record – Votes by Attendee – Proposals 1 – 4
- AGM 2020 Powerpoint Presentation
Agenda / Papers for the virtual AGM 2020
You can download the follow documents above:
- 5 June 2020 – webinar presentation – see video below
- 12 June 2020 – deadline for amendments to proposals
- 12 June 2020 – Chairs video reports on BWF website
- 3 July 2020 – deadline for questions to the BWF
- 6 – 10 July 2020 – a series of webinars for Members
- 15 July – Voting Delegates Briefing
- 16 July 2020 – deadline for nominations
- 17 July 2020 – meeting ‘log-in’ details sent to delegates
- 18 July 2020 – BWF Virtual Annual General Meeting 2020
Get Ready for the virtual AGM 2020
The BWF has prepared 16 video clips and other material to help delegates prepare for the virtual AGM. The steps towards the AGM (linked here ) describe opportunities for delegates to help get ready for the decision making AGM.
- Questions / Answers on the AGM Process
- Question / Answer on AGM Council Proposals
- 12 Chairs Video Reports
- 4 videos (English) – explaining the Council Proposals
- 4 videos (Français) – explaining the Council Proposals
- 4 videos (Spanish) – explaining the Council Proposals
- ENGLISH – Delegates Briefing – Instructions to Log On – BWF Virtual AGM 2020
- FRANÇAIS – Delegates Briefing – Instructions to Log On – BWF Virtual AGM 2020
- SPANISH – Delegates Briefing – Instructions to Log On – BWF Virtual AGM 2020
You can download the follow documents above:
The 2019 BWF Annual General Meeting was held on Thursday 23 May 2019 in Nanning, China, alongside with the TOTAL BWF Sudirman Cup, 19 – 26 May 2019.
A total of 201 delegates from 139 BWF Members Association attended the Forum and AGM in Nanning.
The 80th BWF Annual General was held in Nanning, China – 23 May 2019. See the Image gallery.
The 9th BWF Member’s Forum was held in Nanning, China – 24 May 2019. See the Image gallery.
The 79th BWF Annual General was held in Bangkok, Thailand – 19 May 2018. See the Image gallery.