The BWF Council met on Sunday 8 and Monday 9 May in Bangkok. Please find enclosed relevant information related to the below regulations approved by Council at the meeting.
Governance / Ethics Related Regulations – BWF Statutes – Sections 1 and 3.
Para Badminton Regulations – BWF Statutes – Sections 4 and 5.
- Section 184.108.40.206 – Instructions to Para Badminton Technical Officials (PBITTO)
- Section 5.5 – Para Badminton General Competition Regulations (PBGCR)
- Section 5.5.9 – Para Badminton World Rankings Regulations
- Section 5.5.10 – Para Badminton World Circuit Regulations
- Governance Ethics Regulations
The two documents that were approved are:
- The BWF Whistleblower Policy has been substantially updated and the link below is to the newly adopted policy – Section 3.2 of the BWF Statutes – Whistleblower Policy – and published on the website.
- Para Badminton Regulations
The following summarises the approved changes to regulations, as approved by BWF Council at its meeting on 8-9 May 2022:
- a) BWF Statutes, Section 220.127.116.11 – Instructions to Para Badminton Technical Officials (PBITTO)
Under BWF Statutes Section 4 Rules of the Game, a new subsection of Section 4.1.1 (Instructions to Technical Officials – ITTO), the PBITTO, has been added, and this focuses specifically on instructions to technical officials at Para badminton tournaments, including technical delegates, referees, umpires, and line judges.
- b) BWF Statutes, Section 5.5 – Para Badminton General Competition Regulations (PBGCR) (see attached marked up version of amendments approved – and the link here to Section 5.5 – Para Badminton General Competition Regulations (PBGCR) published on the website):
- Clause 11.3.8 – Priority Order of Pairs – This new clause priorities the order of entered pairs in a tournament where the ranking points of the pairs are the same (e.g. World Ranked, Adjusted Ranking, Notional Ranking).
- Clause 14.1.5 – In Grade 2 Level 1 tournaments, if a player retires or withdraws from an event at any stage of the competition after the draw has been made, the player must be withdrawn from all other events in which the player is entered.
- c) BWF Statutes, Section 5.5.9 – Para Badminton World Rankings Regulations
(see attached marked up version of amendments approved – and the link here to Section 5.5.9 – Para Badminton World Rankings Regulations – published on the website):
When classes and/or events are combined in a tournament, the less impaired player/pairs is at an advantage over the more impaired player/pairs.
Clauses have been updated to allocate additional World Ranking points if a more impaired player/pair wins a match against a less impaired player/pair.
And, for Grade 2 Level 1 tournaments only, a multiplier has been added which reduces the World Ranking points earned by a less impaired player/pair in a combined class/event situation.
- d) BWF Statutes, Section 5.5.10 – Para Badminton World Circuit Regulations
(see attached marked up version of amendments approved – and the link here to Section 5.5.10 – Para Badminton World Circuit Regulations – published on the website):
- Clause 6.8.2 (Wildcards at Grade 2 Level 1 Tournaments) – An explanatory note has been added to clarify the application of wildcards should there be no players from the hosting Member/Para badminton Organisation that qualifies in any of the standing /wheelchair events.
Please refer to the full detail at the Statutes section of the BWF Corporate website at:
- Section 4 – Rules of the Game – Section 18.104.22.168
- Section 5 – Competition Regulations – Section 5.5 PBGCR / Section 5.9 / Section 5.10
For more information or any questions, please contact Syahmi Sabron, BWF Para Badminton Manager at: [email protected]