The BWF Council met in Aarhus, Denmark and virtually (a hybrid meeting format) on Monday 18 and Tuesday 19 October 2021.
Please find enclosed, information related to the decisions of the BWF Council which are most relevant to the membership:
- Events Related Regulation Changes
- Para Badminton Decisions
- Athletes Commission Election – Deadline for Nominations extended to 5 November
- Amendments to the Guidelines for Council and Executive Board Procedures – a) Composition of the Para Badminton Athletes Commission, b) Format of Meetings – guidance on deciding which format.
- Awards – Player of the Year / Hall of Fame / Administrator Awards
- Events Related Decisions / Regulation Changes
Amendments were approved related to the following Sections of the BWF Statutes:
- Section 4.1.1 – Instructions to Technical Officials (ITTO)
- Section 4.1.5 – Vocabulary
- Section 5.1 – General Competition Regulations
- Section 5.2.3 – Junior Tournament Regulations
- Section 5.3.2 – Timelines for Tournaments
- Section 5.5 – Para Badminton General Competition Regulations
Please find attached:
- Letter from Darren Parks, Events Director which provides a summary.
- Summary – Approved Regulation Changes – 19 October 2021
- Approved ITTO and Vocabulary Changes – 19 October 2021
- Summary – Approved Para badminton Regulation Changes – 19 October 2021
Please see BWF Statutes (linked here) for the full copy of the regulations in force following these decisions of Council – see:
- Para badminton Related Decision
The BWF Council approved Dr Nevin Aysel Guzel (TUR) as a Senior Classifier.
- Athletes Commission Elections – Extended deadline for Nominations
The Council extended the deadline for nominations for the Athletes Commission elections by two weeks – the new deadline is midnight KL time, Friday 5 November 2021. Please see the BWF memo of Wednesday 20 October 2021 for more information.
- Amendments – Guidelines for Council and Executive Board Procedures
The Council approved the following amendments to the Guidelines for Council and Executive Board Procedures in the following areas:
a) The composition of the Para Badminton Athletes’ Commission – these amendments approved by Council bring the wording into line with the composition of the Athletes’ Commission on two points:
- Having 6 members of the Para Badminton Commission (instead of 5)
- Having the possibility of having “Active” and “Inactive” members of the Para Badminton Commission as defined:
b) Factors to take into account when deciding on a meeting format – face to face, virtual or hybrid:
- BWF Player of the Year Awards 2020/ 2021 and Other Awards
Player of the Year Awards – 2020/2021
You may recall that the Council decided to combine years 2020 and 2021 for the Player of the Year Awards as many tournaments in 2020 were cancelled because of the Covid-19 pandemic.
The deadline for the assessment period for the Player of the Year Awards 2020/2021 is 31 October. The nominees for each award will be determined after this date and announced in November.
Hall of Fame
The Council approved two iconic players to be inducted into the BWF Hall of Fame. The announcement will be made at a later date.
The deadline for nominations for Administrator Awards 2021 is 31 October. The Awards Commission will consider the nominations received in November. An announcement will be made at a later date.