Here below is a short update following on the suspension of tournaments from Monday 16 March to Sunday 12 April 2020.
The below Junior international tournaments have also been suspended during this period, and some decisions have been made on whether these are postponed or cancelled.
1. Junior Tournaments
Please be advised that these Junior International Tournaments have been postponed or cancelled due to the on-going Coronavirus situation.
- 2nd Brazil International Junior 2020 – 25 – 29 March – Campinas, Brazil – Suspended (decision on whether this is postponed or cancelled will be communicated)
- Croatia Valamar Junior Open 2020 – 03 – 05 April – Dubrovnik, Croatia – Postponed – a new date will be communicated when this has been agreed.
- Cyprus Junior International – 10 – 12 April – Engomi, Cyprus – Postponed – a new date will be communicated when this has been agreed.
- FZ FORZA Alpes International U19 2020 – 17 – 19 April – Voiron, France – Cancelled
BWF continues to monitor the rapidly changing situation, and we encourage you to look at what your local authorities are advising / communicating, and to follow all of the prevention advice that the World Health Organisation has been recommending.
2. Event Planning Mid-April Onwards / Tournament Entries
BWF would like to encourage hosts:
To continue the planning for tournaments on the calendar from mid-April onwards;
- To continue to communicate with local authorities and seek health and safety guidance when planning;
- To seek more flexible bookings arrangements with hotels with confirmations as close to the tournament as possible;
- To keep BWF / your CC informed.
Participants who plan to travel to tournaments should plan carefully and to book airline tickets that have some flexibility with the possibility of changing the ticket, cancelling it, and getting a refund.
We appreciate that this is a difficult environment for everyone to work in, and we hope that within a short period of time, that badminton tournaments can get back to normal because the Coronavirus situation improves.
FAQs – Frequently asked Questions and Answers
Please see list of FAQs on tournament participation and the Coronavirus / COVID-19 on the announcements page of the BWF website (linked here).
BWF continues to monitor official updates on COVID-19 with the health, safety and wellbeing of players, their entourage, fans, officials and other parties as the top priority.
These links from the World Health Organisations may be helpful for you / your stakeholders.
- WHO – Coronavirus – Basic Information
- WHO – Questions and Answers
- WHO – Protect Yourself – Preventative Measures
- WHO – the Right Way to Wash Your Hands
- WHO – When and where to use a mask
- WHO – Rolling Updates from WHO
Please contact me if you have any questions regarding the enclosed.