Last year, the BWF Council approved a regulation that requires each player in the top 100 World Ranking (men’s/women’s singles / doubles and mixed), to individually sign a ‘Players Undertaking’.
This undertaking (English version) describes 1) BWF Commitments and 2) Player Commitments. It is designed to highlight some of the obligations players have under the regulations, when competing internationally.
Article 4.12 of Section 5.1 – General Competition Regulations (linked here) states the following:
- For Player’s ranked number 100 or above in any Event on the World Ranking, such Players must sign the BWF Players Undertaking to retain the status as a Registered Player for Entry.
- Section 5.3.6 – Player Commitment Regulations (linked here) also states the same obligation.
A letter from the BWF President and Secretary General regarding the implementation of this. The first phase deadline is 31 January 2020.
This is a good opportunity to raise awareness of player rights and obligations and the rules around competing internationally in badminton.
Implementing the Players Undertaking
BWF is requesting that all Member Associations who have players in the top 100 World Ranking, assign someone responsible in their Association to implement this.
The BWF has uploaded on the website, information and ideas for implementation (linked here). This includes:
- The Player Undertaking in 9 different languages – English, Spanish, Thai, Korean, Japanese, Bahasa Indonesia, Chinese, Russian and Arabic.
- Ideas for Implementing the Players Undertaking
- Basic Information / Links to Regulations – Anti-Doping | Integrity | Media | Privacy
The deadline for Member Associations to provide the signed Player Undertaking for each of their players in the top 100 World Ranking is 31 January 2020.
BWF will be writing to each Member Association individually in the next two days to provide further information. In the meantime, please read the enclosed.
Please contact Jessy Sung at [email protected] or myself if you have any questions regarding the enclosed.