Below information are on the three Para badminton initiatives for 2020:
- Female Participation Grant 2020 – how to apply?
- National Classifier Training Courses 2020 – who is this for / how to apply?
- Wheelchairs for Para badminton Competition – offer to purchase wheelchairs.
- Female Participation Grant
The BWF is pleased to provide information on the criteria and application process to access the Female Participation Grants for athletes in 2020. The Female Participation Grant offers opportunities for female athletes to apply for financial support to attend and be Internationally Classified at a number of BWF sanctioned International tournaments in 2020.
To be considered and receive a participation grant from the BWF, athletes must meet the following criteria:
- Be affiliated to their National Badminton Federation / National Para badminton Federation / National Paralympic Committee;
- Be eligible to be internationally classified by the BWF in one of the six Para badminton Sport Classes (WH1, WH2, SL3, SL4, SU5 & SH6);
- Participate in structured badminton training on a weekly basis (minimum).
Deadline for the applications is 6th December 2019.
For more information on the application process and the application forms, see the BWF Development Website (linked here).
- National Classification Courses 2020
The BWF is pleased to provide information on opportunities to nominate participants to attend National Level 1 & National Level 2 Classifier workshops, which will take place in 2020.
National Classifier workshops involve a combination of theory and observation sessions, and are designed to support National Badminton Associations who wish to deliver Para badminton activities and tournaments in their country.
The National Level 1 Classifier Workshop is open to anyone with an interest in Para badminton and athlete classification. The course does not require a background in the field of medicine or physiotherapy, however to progress to the National Level 2 Classifier Workshop a medical or physiotherapy qualification is a prerequisite.
We therefore advise Member Associations and National Paralympic Committees to select representatives based on their long-term plans to develop a national classifier workforce.
Please note that attending these workshops does not qualify a person to classify athletes at an international level.
For more information, see the BWF Development Website (linked here) including:
- BWF National Classifier Workshop Calendar 2020
- BWF National Classifier Workshop Application Form
- Badminton Wheelchairs for Members
The BWF in partnership with RMA Sport have developed a new Badminton Development Wheelchair, which is now available for purchase by Member Associations and National Paralympic Committees.
The wheelchair comes in two frame sizes and has the option of single or double (extra cost) rear anti-tippers. The cost of each wheelchair is £685 (approx. $880 USD) excluding VAT and shipping.
Member Associations and National Paralympic Committees may place orders for these.
For more information, see the BWF Development Website (linked here)
Please email John Shearer [email protected] if you have any questions regarding the enclosed.