Here below are a few important announcements and reminders for the end of 2018:
IOC Women and Sport Awards 2019 – Nominations – deadline 14 January
The IOC Women and Sport trophies are awarded annually to promote the advancement of gender equality in sport. They recognise outstanding achievement and contributions made to develop, encourage and strengthen the participation of women and girls at all levels in the sports world in order to close the gender gap.
Six (6) Trophies are awarded each year – one (1) at the world level and one each for Africa, the Americas, Asia, Europe and Oceania (5 at the regional level). More information including the regulations, award criteria and the nomination forms can be found on the IOC website (linked here).
BWF is able to nominate one (1) candidate for the world level. If you wish to recommend someone who meets the criteria, please email Sharon Springer [email protected] no later than 14 January 2019 with all the details of the nominee (see the nomination form at the link above).
BWF Office Closure – Festive Season 2018 / 2019
The BWF office will be closed from Monday 24 December to Tuesday 1 January 2019. The office will be open again as usual on Wednesday 2 January.
Wishing you all a very happy and safe Festive Season.
Draw Dates – Variations due to National Holidays
Please be advised that the normal draw dates for the PERODUA Malaysia Masters 2019 and DAIHATSU Indonesia Masters 2019 fall on national holidays.
As such, please note that:
- The draw date for the PERODUA Malaysia Masters 2019 will now be published on Wednesday, 26 December 2018.
- The draw for the DAIHATSU Indonesia Masters 2019 will now be published on Wednesday, 2 January 2019.
World Rankings to be Published on Tuesdays from 2019
As per the BWF Memo of 18 December from Chris Trenholme, the BWF World Rankings will be published on Tuesdays instead of Thursdays – starting January 2019.
Since 1 January (a national holiday) falls on Tuesday 1 January, the first rankings published day will be Wednesday 2 January 2019.
Regulations – Reminder of Recent Communication
The BWF office has sent out quite a few notices since the beginning of December following the Council meeting of 30 November 2018.
Here is a reminder of the key dates and subject of the Memos sent to the membership:
- 5 December 2018 – Memo – Key Decisions of Council and this included a letter from Darren Parks, Events Director.
- 18 December 2018 – Memo – Players and Coaches – topics include – service height, no on-court testing of shuttles, table of offences, no national separation – World Tour Tournaments, no equipment on prize podium – Chris Trenholme – see announcement (linked here).
- 20 December 2018 – Para badminton regulation changes / Tokyo 2020.
The Key Decisions of Council are published on the BWF website after each Council meeting – download the Key Decisions of Council from each Council meeting (linked here).