Happy New Year from all of us at the BWF. As we look towards the Tokyo 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games, we would like to wish you a very happy, safe and successful 2020.
1. BWF AGM 2020
The 2020 BWF Annual General Meeting will be held on Friday 22 May 2020 in Aarhus, Denmark, in conjunction with the TOTAL BWF Thomas & Uber Cup Finals, 16 – 24 May 2020. Key Dates / actions required:
- 31 January 2020 – deadline for payment of subscriptions (see below point 6).
- 28 February 2020 – deadline for proposals to AGM / seconding (12 weeks out)
- 03 April 2020 – Notice of the Meeting / Agenda / Annual Report (7 weeks out)
- 17 April 2020 – deadline for any amendments to proposals (5 weeks out)
- Thursday 21 May 2020 (0900) – BWF Members’ Forum / Delegates Dinner
- Friday 22 May 2020 (1000) – Annual General Meeting
- Sunday 16 – 24 May 2020 – TOTAL BWF Thomas & Uber Cup Finals
Casual Vacancies of Council
There are two casual vacancies on the BWF Council. These vacancies are a result of the election of two people on Council being elected into other positions on the BWF Council:
- KhunyingPatama Leeswadtrakul was elected Deputy President at the BWF AGM in May 2019.
- Jassem Kanso was elected BWF Vice President Asia at the Badminton Asia AGM in May 2019.
Please note that under Clause 18.7 of the BWF constitution, the Council decided not to fill the casual vacancies at the upcoming AGM 2020.
In part, Clause 18.7 states “Council may decide not to call for an election to fill a vacancy if such an elected Council member cannot serve on Council for at least 18 months of the original term”.
2. Membership Questionnaire – deadline 31 January 2020
This is a reminder that the BWF membership questionnaire is due on 31 January (please see our Memo of 8 December 2019).
Links to the survey can be found below in three language versions – English, Spanish and French.
- English : https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/2RSCZPY
- Spanish : https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/2MN8SXT
- French : https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/2RV29SR
If you have not completed the questionnaire yet – please delegate someone in your organisation to complete this as soon as possible.
The questionnaire takes about 20-30 minutes to complete. For more information please contact John Shearer, BWF Development Manager on [email protected]
3. World University Badminton Championships 2020
The FISU World University Badminton Championship will be held in Bangkok, 16-22 November 2020. Please contact your University Sports Association and encourage the participation of a national university badminton team in the 2020 Championships. The first deadline for entries is 16 March 2020.
The badminton competitions at the World University Badminton Championships is organised in accordance with the BWF Regulations.
The World University Badminton Championship has been held every two years since the first World University Badminton Championship in Nicosia, Cyprus in 1990. The Championships attracts more than 200 university players from more than 20 countries.
This year is the final World University Badminton Championships as badminton is now a Compulsory Sport for the Summer Universiade which is held every two years – the next being in 2021 in Chengdu, China 8 – 19 August 2021.
For more information on the 2020 edition, see the BWF website
4. WADA Prohibited Substance List 2020 – in force from 1 January 2020
The WADA Prohibited List and Methods 2020 came into force on 1 January.
Please forward this information to your players, coaches and team managers.
The Prohibited List details the substances and methods which are prohibited for any athlete.
Download the List and the Explanatory Notes of the major changes:
Athletes are responsible for everything they eat and drink.
Links to important anti-doping information on the BWF website:
- Anti-doping Overview – basic questions and answers (linked here)
- The Dangers / Consequences of Doping (linked here)
- Prohibited Substances (linked here)
- Therapeutic Use Exemptions (TUE) – athletes who need medications that contain Prohibited Substances (linked here)
- The Doping Control Process – collecting a urine or blood sample (linked here)
5. Player Undertaking – deadline to submit – 31 January 2020
This is a reminder that all players in the Top 100 of the BWF World Ranking (men’s/women’s singles, men’s/women’s doubles and mixed doubles) must sign and submit a Players’ Undertaking by 31 January 2020.
See our Memo of 26 November 2019 and the individual emails we sent to 62 Member Associations in late November 2019 who have players in the top 100.
This undertaking describes 1) BWF Commitments and 2) Player Commitments. It is designed to highlight some of the obligations players have under the regulations, when competing internationally.
Article 4.12 of Section 5.1 – General Competition Regulations (linked here) states the following:
- For Player’s ranked number 100 or above in any Event on the World Ranking, such Players must sign the BWF Players Undertaking to retain the status as a Registered Player for Entry.
- Section 5.3.6 – Player Commitment Regulations (linked here) also states the same obligation.
Please contact Jessy Sung at [email protected] if you have any questions.
6. BWF Subscription 2020 – deadline 31 January 2020
Subscriptions are due no later than midnight KL time on 31 January 2020.
Please note that players cannot be entered into competitions after this deadline if the subscription is not paid by the deadline. Clause 26.6 of the BWF constitution states:
“A subscription shall be payable prior to a Member or its players taking part in competitive events as in Clause 26.1.
“In no circumstances can a Member’s player(s) or a team continue to compete beyond the due date for payment of the subscription, nor can that Member stage a Federation sanctioned tournament”.
Subscription letters and invoices were sent to Members in November 2019. Please contact Chia Lee [email protected] if you need this to be resent.
7. Travel Grant to the AGM
The BWF is again offering a travel grant to support the travel costs and accommodation for one (1) delegate to attend the 2020 AGM. The same principles apply as last year. More details will be available in early February including the amount each Member will receive towards the travel costs.
Please note however that to be eligible to receive the travel grant for the 2020, the Member must have submitted its 2019 Schedule A no later than 31 January 2020.
8. Job Opportunities in Badminton – Badminton Europe Development Officer
Badminton Europe is seeking a Development Officer for a full-time position to join its head office team in Copenhagen, Denmark. For more details on the role, see the Careers page of the corporate website.
The deadline for applications is 13 January 2020 at 12 PM (CET)
9. BWF Office Closures
The BWF office will be closed from Monday 27 January for the Chinese New Year National holiday in Malaysia.