Para Badminton Initiatives 2023
Please find enclosed information on two Para badminton initiatives for 2023:
- National Classifier Workshops – who is this for / how to apply?
- Para Badminton Female Participation Grants – who is this for / how to apply?
- National Classifier Workshops 2023
The BWF is pleased to provide information on opportunities to nominate participants to attend National Level 1 & National Level 2 Classifier workshops, which will take place in 2023.
National Classifier workshops involve a combination of theory and observation sessions and are designed to support National Badminton Associations and National Paralympic Committees who wish to deliver Para badminton activities and tournaments in their country.
The National Level 1 Classifier Workshop is open to anyone with an interest in Para badminton and athlete classification. The course does not require a background in the field of medicine or physiotherapy, however, to progress to the National Level 2 Classifier Workshop, a medical or physiotherapy qualification is a prerequisite, as well as previous attendance of a National Level 1 Classifier Workshop.
We therefore advise Member Associations and National Paralympic Committees to select representatives based on their long-term plans to develop a national classifier workforce.
Please note that attending these workshops does not qualify a person to classify athletes at an international level.
Application Form / Attachments
For more information on the BWF National Classifier Workshops 2023, see the BWF Development Website (linked here) including:
- BWF National Classifier Workshop 2023 Calendar
- BWF National Classifier Workshop 2023 Application Form (preview attached)
Application deadline is six weeks before the date of the respective workshop.
For National Level 2 Classifier workshops, please send relevant certification (medical/physiotherapy) to Suvashini ([email protected]) upon completion of the application form.
- Para Badminton Female Participation Grants 2023
The BWF is pleased to provide information on the criteria and application process to access the Female Participation Grants for Para badminton athletes in 2023.
The Female Participation Grant offers opportunities for new female athletes to apply for financial support to attend and be internationally classified at a number of BWF-sanctioned international tournaments in 2023.
To be considered and receive a participation grant from the BWF, athletes must meet the following criteria:
- Be affiliated to their National Badminton Federation / National Para badminton Federation / National Paralympic Committee;
- Be eligible to be internationally classified by the BWF in one of the six Para badminton Sport Classes (WH1, WH2, SL3, SL4, SU5 & SH6);
- Participate in structured badminton training on a weekly basis (minimum).
In efforts to increase retention of athletes, each athlete must attend two BWF Para Badminton Tournaments in 2023 to be eligible for the grant:
- Tournament 1 – up to US $900 per athlete
- Tournament 2 – up to US $500 per athlete
Application Form / Attachments
For more information on the BWF Para Badminton Female Participation Grants 2023, see the BWF Development Website (linked here) including:
- BWF Female Participation Grant 2023 – Classification Calendar
- BWF Para Badminton Female Participation Grant 2023 Application Form (preview attached)
- Form 1 – Para Badminton Medical Information Form
- Form 2 – Para Badminton Player Evaluation Consent Form
Please complete Form 1 & 2 in full and return to BWF Classification Team ([email protected]) and Development Manager, Suvashini ([email protected]) by 20 January 2023.
Please email Development Manager, Suvashini ([email protected]) if you have any questions regarding the enclosed.