BWF’s execution of its new social and digital strategy has received a further boost scoring highly in Redtorch’s 4th edition of the #SportOnSocial League Table — a ranking of 35 IOC-recognised International Federations according to their social media performance in 2019.
BWF placed fourth overall based on performance across the four main social media platforms – Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and YouTube. We ranked higher than football, table tennis, swimming, athletics, cycling and tennis and behind only basketball, rugby and volleyball.
This follows our performance in the 2019 International Sports Federations Social Media Rankings by Burson Cohn & Wolfe Sports (BCW Sports) published in February.
Specifically, BWF was first on Twitter, second on Facebook, fourth on YouTube and sixth on Instagram – an equally impressive feat considering we only launched Instagram in August.
Here are the main highlights:
- Jumped from 12th to 4th in overall rankings
- Had a 43% growth rate on Facebook (second only to equestrian)
- Ranked 6th overall in total video views in the 4.5 months we were active
- Created the most content for IGTV reaching 13 million views
- Recorded the second highest growth rate on Twitter with 38% (behind hockey)
- Had the second highest growth on YouTube with 589K new subscribers
- Amassed 161 million views alone during the TOTAL BWF World Championships and TOTAL BWF Para Badminton World Championships 2019
- 15 videos during this time returned views of more than one million
**Note: Insights were submitted to Redtorch prior to the postponement of Tokyo 2020.