On 18th March 2019, Special Olympics International (SOI) and the BWF signed a Memorandum of Understanding (linked here), in which both organizations pledged to work together to develop and increase participation in badminton globally.
BWF and SOI want to encourage links between BWF Members and national Special Olympics organisations nationally.
A joint letter from the Poul-Erik Høyer – BWF President and Dr. Timothy Shriver, President of Special Olympics International which explains more on this.
Special Olympics programmes offer a grass roots community structure with expertise in coaching individuals with an intellectual disability and the conduct of inclusive sport. The BWF provides free access to resources and training for coaches, which support the delivery of safe, fun and inclusive badminton.
Please read the attached for more information on making connections on a national level.
- Special Olympics – Information on Badminton (linked here)
- BWF Development Website – Special Olympics (linked here)
- Special Olympics World Games 2019 – Video (linked here) and Video 2 (linked here)
- Special Olympics Unified Badminton through Shuttle Time (Houston, USA) – 2017 (linked here)
- Partnership between Special Olympic Asia Pacific, Badminton Oceania Confederation and Badminton Asia (Bangkok, Thailand) – 2018 (linked here)
- BWF-SOAP Regional Badminton Training (Singapore) – 2018 (linked here)
- Shuttle Time for Inclusive Unified Badminton (Fiji) – 2018 (linked here)