In November 2021, the International Paralympic Committee (IPC) announced that Badminton has been given an allocation of 120 athletes and 16 medal events for the Paris 2024 Paralympic Games. The medal events are:
The IPC and BWF have now published the qualification regulations for the Games. Please see the information below and read through the regulations document which can be found on IPC’s website – link.
The qualification regulations have also been published on BWF’s Statutes page as Section 184.108.40.206 – PG – Qualifying Regulations for Paris 2024 – link.
Summary of Qualification Timeline
Please check the qualification regulations document for the full timeline.
- To be eligible for selection by an NPC, athletes must:
- Be internationally classified in an eligible Sport Class with a Sport Class status of (i) ‘Confirmed’, or ‘Review’ with a Fixed Review Date after 31 December 2024;
- To be eligible for selection for a singles event, athletes must:
- have participated in their relevant singles event at a minimum of three (3) designated qualifying tournaments counting towards the Race to Paris Paralympic Games Singles Ranking List published on 2 April 2024. Exception is made if a player qualifies in doubles or mixed doubles and is required to play singles;
- To be eligible for selection for a doubles event, athletes/pairs must:
- have participated in their relevant doubles or mixed doubles event with their partner at a minimum of three (3) designated qualifying tournaments counting towards the Race to Paris Paralympic Doubles and Mixed Doubles Ranking list published on 2 April 2024. Exception is made if the BWF invites qualified singles players to create a doubles or mixed doubles pair.
Please share the information with your Member Association, National Paralympic Committee, BWF recognized organisation as well as team managers and Para badminton player.
It is important for everyone to understand the qualification pathway for each event.
Should you have any question about the qualification process, please contact [email protected]