The BWF opens a competitive application process to host its Major Events. BWF is committed to providing a fair and transparent application process and an equal opportunity for applicants to present their strongest case in meeting the requirements for hosting BWF Major Events. The BWF has a Code of Conduct for those organisations making a bid to host a BWF Major Event – please see the BWF Statutes – Section 2.2.3 – Bidding Organisations Code of Conduct.
Application to Host Major Events – 2020 – 2025
The BWF is inviting BWF Members to submit an Expression of Interest with the intention to submit one or more applications to host BWF Major Events in the period 2019 to 2025. Please download the Memo above which gives the full details.
The following BWF Major Events are open for application (20 Championships):
- BWF World Championships (2021, 2022, 2023 and 2025)
- BWF Thomas/Uber Cup (2020, 2022 and 2024)
- BWF Sudirman Cup (2021, 2023 and 2025)
- BWF World Junior Championships (2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024 and 2025)
- BWF World Senior Championships – including potential festival concept (2021, 2023 and 2025 – 3 Championships).
Deadlines to Submit
- 3 August 2018 – Deadline for the Expression of Interest Form (downloaded above)
- 19 October 2018 – Deadline to submit the Bid Form (download above)
BWF Members submitting an Expression of Interest to host one or more of the above Championships will be invited to enter into a dialogue with BWF (“BWF Major Events Consultation Process”) around their interest.
The BWF Major Events Consultation Process has the objective to:
- Ensure that the terms and financial requirements to host the BWF Major Events are clear to all parties.
- Discuss the possibility for a BWF Member to host a “package” of BWF Major Events during the period 2019 to 2025.
- Discuss the allocation of commercial rights awarded to the host.
- Potentially conduct any necessary site visits to venues.
This process will result in a submission of an application to host one or more BWF Major Events.
BWF will also actively approach various Members previously having hosted BWF Major Events and new potential markets, with an invitation to the BWF Major Events Consultation Process. Members not submitting an Expression of Interest can however also submit bids.
Request for Proposal (RFP) Documents
A package of RFP documents can be downloaded above. The RFP documents describe the rights and obligations related to the hosting of the BWF Major Events, including the commercial structures. The document package includes:
- Expression of Interest Form
- RFP – BWF World Championships, BWF Thomas & Uber Cups and BWF Sudirman Cup.
- RFP – for World Junior Championships
- RFP – for World Senior Championships.
- Bid form for BWF Major Championships
Members submitting an Expression of Interest before the deadline will be invited to start the BWF Major Events Consultation Process prior to the deadline to submit applications. Members submitting an Expression of Interest will be sent generic contract material related to the relevant BWF Major Events prior to any dialogue.
Deadlines / Process
In summary, here are the key dates:
- 19 June 2018 – Request to submit Expression of Interest sent the Member Associations.
- 3 August 2018 – Deadline to submit Expression of Interest for BWF Major Events.
- June to October 2018 – BWF Major Events Consultation Process – including site visits.
- 19 October 2018 – Deadline to submit applications – received no later than midnight KL time. Members not having expressed an interest by 3 August 2018 can also submit bids
- 26 – 30 November 2018 – Council decisions will be based on bids and recommendation to Council follow dialogues in the BWF Major Events Consultation Process. Bidders will be invited to present to Council.
Please note that the World Junior Championships 2019 and BWF Thomas & Uber Cups 2020 have already been open for application. These two event may be awarded to hosts soonest possible, and prior to the deadlines provided above. Any BWF Major Events not awarded through above process will be reopened through a relaunched BWF Major Events Consultation Process with a decision by Council in 2019 or through opening of application to individual Championships.
BWF will seek to award any Championships latest (however potentially earlier) according to the following timeline:
- Championships in 2019, 2020 and 2021: Latest by November 2018
- Championships in 2022 and 2023: Latest in 2019
- Championships in 2024 and 2025: Latest in 2020.
|OCT / NOV||2017||19 OCT 2018||29 NOV 2018|
THOMAS & UBER CUP
|MAY||2017||19 OCT 2018||29 NOV 2018|